Saturday 10 September 2016

Small opportunities can lead to a bigger one

Well...

First I want to apologize that I haven't been really active here. I checked that the last post was from March 2016. Since then loads of things have happened. Everything went amazingly well in HKU and so on in Hongkong. I ended my first semester (the spring semester) in HKU and managed to pass all my courses. Also I worked in the laboratory the whole semester as ever I had some spare time as I mentioned in the second blog post in January and actually, that is why I am back in Hong Kong now. Small opportunities can lead to a bigger one!

I'm deeply grateful for everyone who made my exchange memorable in Hong Kong. 

So I am back in Hong Kong with my fiance, Hany, since we got an opportunity to do our master's thesis in HKU. To be precise, we are here to complete the experimental part. We have already started it since we got here almost two weeks ago. Actually, we started to process it during the summer since we got freedom to define what to focus on our thesis around the given topic (the topics were given). It required and it still requires many, many, many hours of reading the articles relating to our topics. Freedom comes always with responsibility so there is loads of things that should be taken into consideration. I hope I can put my faith in this phrase: small opportunities are often the beginning of great achievements.


Perhaps you are thinking why Hong Kong and HKU. To fresh your memory, our home uni, the University of Eastern Finland (UEF) work in close cooperation with the University of Hong Kong (HKU), I mean the schools, Clinical nutrition and Biological Sciencies. I don't know all the details but I just know that there has been a close cooperation for several years by now including our projects.



Now it is time to end this post since I have other things to do. I try to keep you updated here as long as I have time. As I said I have tons of other things to do right now including writing the study plan of the thesis. In addition I took Chinese language course to keep myself busy and that will take several hours per week. It seems really demanding! :D


Yours,
Veera

Ps. I am sitting in our tiny flat in the area called Sheung Wan. We didn't get the opportunity to apply for the residential halls (student dorms) since they don't offer rooms for couples. We were required to find privately rented accommodation. It was pain in the ass! So hard to find a decent one in such a crowded place as Hong Kong is. The hardest thing was to find a flat that suits the budget.. Hong Kong is the most expensive place to live in the world. No words are needed when it is described in numbers: 200 sqf (20 m2), 11,5k HKD/month (1300 €/month).


No comments:

Post a Comment